Taking Control Of Your Finances And Starting Again
“We are New Orleans’ Bankruptcy Attorneys.”
When debts pile up and you can’t find a way to turn things around, the stress can affect every area of your life. At Edwin Shorty Jr. & Associates, a New Orleans, Louisiana, bankruptcy law firm, we help people recover and find a fresh start.
Bankruptcy isn’t for everyone, but it can give you the relief you are looking for. Bankruptcy can help get your finances back on track so you can move on with your life. When you come in for your free consultation, one of our experienced lawyers will explain the bankruptcy process and help you decide if it is the right choice for you. If it is, you can rely on us to be with you every step of the way, providing the support and personal attention you need to help you start over with a clean slate.
Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
Chapter 7 bankruptcy allows people who qualify to eliminate most unsecured debt, including credit card bills, medical bills and judgments against them. At Edwin Shorty Jr. & Associates, we help determine if you qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and if it is the right choice for you and your family.
Many people are under the misconception that filing for bankruptcy means they will lose everything. This is not true. We understand complex bankruptcy laws, regulations and the exceptions available that allow you to keep your assets. We walk you through every step, with attention to detail, so that you have a thorough understanding before you file.
Chapter 13 Bankruptcy
If your regular income disqualifies you from Chapter 7 bankruptcy, or if you have nonexempt assets that you are not willing to lose, Chapter 13 bankruptcy can provide you with an alternative. By creating a payment plan that you can afford, Chapter 13 bankruptcy offers you the time and breathing room you need to bring your finances up to date.
“The hardest part is admitting you need help.
Call us today for a free initial visit to discuss your case.
What do you have to lose, and it could change your life!”
If you are facing repossession or foreclosure; if you are being harassed by creditors, bankruptcy might be the solution. Once you file, an automatic stay stops any collection actions, harassing calls and garnishments to your paycheck.
5 Myths About Bankruptcy
- A married person can’t file for bankruptcy without their spouse: False! A married person can file for bankruptcy without the other spouse, but you’ll need from 90 days worth of paycheck stubs from your spouse to determine if you qualify
- SBA loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy: SBA loans are no different than any other loan and can be discharged in bankruptcy.
- I will not be able to keep my house and my car if I file: It depends on the circumstances. Very often you can retain ownership of your home and car when you file bankruptcy.
- I will not be able to purchase anything in the future: Not true. Sometimes clients find it easier to get credit after filing bankruptcy.
- If I can’t afford my mortgage payment the bankruptcy will help me keep my house: Bankruptcy can help you keep your home by spreading past due payments out over time. However, if you cannot afford your monthly payment amount, the bankruptcy will not help.
“If a creditor continues to contact you after we file
for you, you can bring charges against them
and you may receive compensation.”
Situations That May Lead To Bankruptcy
- Behind in your bills/creditor harassment
- Car note
- Credit card
- Student loans
- Payday loans
- Personal loans
- Monthly expenses
- You owe the IRS
- Wages being garnished
- You are being sued
- License suspension
At Edwin Shorty Jr. & Associates, we can answer all of your questions and give you the information you need to make the right decision. You can take control of your debt. Just contact us at 504-207-1370 to schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced New Orleans bankruptcy law attorney.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.